Apex Housing Association Ltd (Apex) welcomes applications for shareholding membership from anyone who is interested in promoting the success of the Association and has an interest in and commitment to the Association’s work.
Apex seeks to foster an extensive membership base of up to 50 people and will encourage tenants and others who support its aims to become members through the purchase of a £1.00 share
Purpose of shareholding membership
- to provide an active pool of people who have expressed an interest in the Association and from whom new Committee Members can be drawn;
- to allow other people to express support for, and a commitment to the Association without playing an active role;
- to enhance the Association’s accountability to the communities where it operates;
- to provide the Association with another way of accounting for its activities and performance.
Criteria for selection
All applicants for membership of the Association will be considered by the Board of Management. Applications must meet the essential criterion and at least one of the optional criteria:
Does the applicant have the appropriate skills, experience and availability to make a significant contribution to the Association by becoming a member of the Board of Management, either at the time of application or in the future.
- does the applicant have a long term interest in and support for the Association;
- does the applicant have the commitment and relevant skills and/or experience to make a positive contribution to the Association without becoming an active Board member;
- will the applicant help improve the representation of local communities within the Association’s shareholding and/or Board membership;
- will the applicant contribute to achieving a balanced mix within the Association’s shareholding and/or Board membership.
The following exclusions apply:
- a minor (a person under the age of 16 years)
- a person who has been expelled as a Shareholder, unless authorised by special resolution at a General Meeting;
- an employee of the Association or an employee of any other Group Member;
- a person who has been removed by the Board in accordance with rule D8;
- a person in respect of whom a registered medical practitioner who is treating that person gives a written opinion to the Association stating that the person has become physically or mentally incapable of exercising their rights as a Shareholder and may remain so for more than six months.
Application for Membership
All applications for membership should be made in writing to the Chair at the Association’s registered office. Applications will be considered by the Board of Management under the selection criteria. All applicants will also need to demonstrate that their membership of the Association and/or its Board will not result in an unacceptable conflict of interest, either due to a personal relationship or employment with another organisation, for example another housing association which could be regarded as a competitor.
Membership of the Association enables the person to:
- attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting and
- receive copies of the Association’s Annual Report
- receive copies of the Association’s Newsletters for tenants and staff
- be eligible for election onto the Association’s Board of Management
Membership of the Association will be bound by the Association’s rules.
Withdrawal from Membership
Members may withdraw from the Association by giving the Secretary one month’s notice in writing of their intention to do so. The Association’s Rules also contain provisions for the expulsion of members and for their re-admission (Paragraphs 15a-15c).
The Board of Management will review the membership policy on a periodic basis.