Protect yourself and loved ones from fire
Apex continues to roll out our 10 year fire detection upgrade programme for general needs properties. All properties will also have a five-yearly fixed electrical test. When you receive notification that your property is due for testing, please arrange suitable access for the electrical contractor to carry out the test.
Some of our tenants have recently faced substantial loss through accidental fires, so we want to empower you to become more fire safety conscious.
ELECTRICAL FIRE SAFETY
Take care when using and charging your electrical appliances:
- Beware of hot plugs or sockets, scorch marks, fuses that often blow or flickering lights. These are often a sign of electrical problems. Report these to Apex immediately.
- Switch off and unplug appliances at night unless they are designed to be left on (e.g. fridge/freezers).
- Ensure the appliance is adequately ventilated when switched on. Don’t charge mobile phones on bedclothes.
- Only buy approved chargers for your devices; cheaper options may be unsafe. Do not over-charge devices and always unplug before going to bed at night.
- Check electric blankets regularly for wear and tear and replace after 10 years.
- Switch off hair straighteners after use and leave to cool on a heatproof surface.
- If an electrical fire starts, you should, if safe to do so, turn off the power immediately. Do not try and tackle an electrical fire with water.
- If you plan to carry out electrical alterations to your property please ensure that you contact Apex for permission, advice and guidance notes.
CHRISTMAS FIRE SAFETY
Have a safe and happy Christmas by following the tips below:
- Test your alarms every week and report any faults to Apex immediately. Never remove a faulty detector.
- Check your Christmas lights are in good working order and look for the BS Kitemark to ensure that they meet the appropriate standard.
- Avoid cooking whilst under the influence of alcohol, and never leave cooking unattended.
- If you’re using extra heaters during the winter months, make sure they are kept away from soft furnishings and Christmas decorations.
- Never leave candles unattended and ensure they are out of reach from pets and children.
PLAN YOUR ESCAPE
Have a plan of escape in case a fire breaks out.
- Locate your fire escape window.
- Ensure exits are kept clear at all times.
- Ensure everyone knows where the keys are kept for final exit doors
- Get everyone out and close all doors behind you. Dial 999 and ask for the Fire & Rescue Service.
REPORT A REPAIR
During office hours (9am – 5pm) Call 028 7130 4800
Out of hours emergency Call 0800 731 3081