Make sure you are ‘gas safe’
We’re proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week and raising awareness of the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. By taking care of your gas appliances properly you’re taking care of your homes and your loved ones.
It is our duty to service your boiler each year ensuring you remain safe in your home and your boiler continues to be reliable and efficient. A Gas Safe registered engineer will check your boiler and flue, test your alarms and examine pipework for any potential leaks; with the service taking no more than 30 minutes to complete.
Please note that the engineer will need access to your home to carry out the service. Please update us with any new contact details and respond to us when we contact you to arrange the service.
Top tips for staying safe
Follow these Gas Safety Week top tips to stay safe and warm this winter:
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Test your carbon monoxide alarm/s regularly. These will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
- Keep vents and chimneys clear. Make sure you don’t block vents, as they are vital to ensure gas appliances burn properly.
If you have any issues or concerns please contact our property services department on 028 7130 4800 and we can arrange a home visit.
In an emergency
If you smell gas or you are worried about gas safety, phone the 24-hour Northern Ireland Gas Emergency Service on 0800 002 001.
Follow the steps below:
- Turn off the gas supply at the meter.
- Extinguish all naked flames and do not smoke or strike any matches.
- Open doors and windows for ventilation.
- Check gas appliances to see if the gas has been left on unlit or that a pilot is out.
- Do no turn on or off any electrical switches.
For more information, visit the Gas Safety Week website.