Fire safety during Covid-19 lockdown
We’re all spending a lot of time at home and it’s more important than ever that you and your loved ones know how to prevent a fire and know what to do in case of a fire. Some of our tenants have recently faced substantial loss through accidental fires, so we want to remind you about the importance of fire safety.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Make sure the cooker or hob is turned off when you have finished cooking.
- Switch off appliances at night unless they are designed to be left on, eg, fridge/freezers.
- Ensure trail sockets / extension leads are not overloaded and switched off when not in use.
- Ensure appliances are adequately ventilated when switched on. Don’t charge mobile phones on bedclothes.
- Only buy approved chargers for your devices; cheaper options may be unsafe. Do not over-charge devices and always unplug before going to bed at night.
- Never smoke in bed or when tired.
- Keep lighters, matches and smoking materials out of reach of children.
- Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep.
- Keep burning candles away from furniture, curtains, bedding, carpets, books, paper and other flammable materials.
- Never place heaters too close to combustible surfaces or materials such as curtains or bedding. Position heaters safely so they can’t be knocked over easily.
- Never dry clothes in front of portable heaters.
Plan your escape
Have a plan of escape in case a fire breaks out.
- Locate your fire escape window.
- Ensure exits are kept clear at all times.
- Ensure everyone knows where the keys are kept for final exit doors
- If there is smoke, keep low where the air is clearer.
- Get everyone out and close all doors behind you. Dial 999 and ask for the Fire and Rescue Service.
Home Fire Safety Checks
The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) has replaced their regular face-to-face home safety checks with an over the phone service.
Call 028 9266 4221 Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm and provide your details. You will then be contacted by a member of the NIFRS Prevention and Protection Team who will discuss your queries and circumstances and provide fire safety advice. You can also apply for a Home Fire Safety Check on the NIFRS website.
Report a repair
In an out of hours emergency call 0800 731 3081.