Apex launches ‘Shaping Your Community’
On Tuesday 4th November 2014 Colm McDaid, Chief Officer at Supporting Communities NI launched ‘Shaping Your Community’, the Apex Community Involvement Strategy 2014-2017.
‘Shaping Your Community’ is the fifth strategy developed by Apex. It sets out our commitment to working in partnership with our tenants, residents and stakeholders, providing opportunities for tenants and residents to participate in the decisions that affect them and enabling them to become involved in activities that enhance their quality of life and that of their community.
‘Shaping You Community’ reflects on what has been achieved since our first Strategy was launched in 1999:
- Representation of Apex tenants and residents at the highest level, with the Chair of the Community Involvement Forum and the Supported Living Representative sitting on our Board of Management, influencing and participating in the key decisions affecting our tenants and residents.
- The commitment of resources for the development and implementation of community involvement.
- The provision of community units in a number of areas and ongoing support to our tenants associations, active tenants and community groups.
- Funding to support the Community Involvement Forum Grants Scheme, the Apex Common Fund and Comfort Funds within Supported Living, all of which provide additional benefits to our tenants and residents.
- External funding of more that £6m for community involvement initiatives benefiting Apex communities.
- Fundraising of more that £194,000 for our African communities.
- Assistance for our tenants through the Apex Corporate Responsibility and Financial Inclusion Strategies
Speaking at the launch Colm McDaid, Supporting Communities NI said:
Apex has clearly demonstrated a commitment to tenant participation and developing communities through the success of their previous strategies. I am very pleased to be here today launching ‘Shaping Your Community’.
Implementation of this Strategy will build on Apex’s work to date, enabling tenants to become involved in the decisions that affect them and providing opportunities for individuals and communities to participate in activities that improve their quality of life and engender community spirit.”
The new Strategy commits to continuing to focus on:
- The provision of INFORMATION.
- Effective CONSULTATION.
- EMPOWERING tenants and residents.
- Developing NEIGHBOURHOODS and building community spirit & meaningful involvement through ACTIVITIES.
- MEASURING the IMPACT of what we do so that we can continue to improve.
‘Shaping your Community’ details what Apex does on an ongoing basis to deliver on the 5 areas, as well as setting our what we will do in the next 3 years to improve how we support and develop our communities.
Download the publication
‘Shaping Your Community’ Apex Community Involvement Strategy 2014-2017 is now available to download.