Universal Credit goes live in Foyle from 7th February
Universal Credit is being implemented in the Foyle area from Wednesday 7th February.
Universal Credit will replace 6 benefits on the current system. These are:
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseekers Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
Universal Credit initially will be for new claimants to the benefits system and for people who have a significant change of circumstances.
These are highlighted below:
- Move from out of work to in work
- Move from in work to out of work
- Move out of work to sick
- Move from sick to in work (or permitted work becomes permanent)
- Move from in work to sick (reduction in hours due to sickness)
- Claimants separate
- Income Support Loan parent child reaches 5 / permanently leaves household
- Household becomes responsible for a child for the first time
- Move from sick to out of work
It is important that if you have to make a claim for Universal Credit that you contact your Housing Officer ASAP to confirm how much your rent charge is as you will need this for the application. If the incorrect figure is submitted it could possibly hold up your claim.
If you have any questions you can get help by contacting your Housing Officer or Michael Lyttle on 02871304800.
You can also avail of free, independent advice from the Welfare Changes Helpline on 0808 802 0020.