Apex Gardening Competition 2017
Are you a keen gardener?
Would you like to win up to £50 in Homebase vouchers?
Speak to your housing officer about entering our gardening competition, closing date Friday 28th July
The four categories are;
Best Overall Kept Garden
Best Hanging Basket
Most Original Feature
Some hints and tips for hanging baskets
• For the best results, ensure that the plant size suits your basket of choice. Good trailing plants are: Petunia Surfina, trailing Fuchsia and Lobelias. For colour add Nemesia and Pansies along with Fuchsias and Geranium.
• Remove dead flower heads. Not only does it make your basket look tidier, it encourages more flowers.
• Remember that you don’t have to plant flowers in your hanging basket. Strawberries and tomatoes grow extremely well in hanging baskets and are easy to pick.
• Generally the basket should be watered once or twice a day, but on hot, dry days water the basket early and hang it in the shade. On cold days, wait until it warms up before watering.
• Ensure your hanging basket bracket is strong enough to hold the weight of a watered basket.
How to enter
Tenants can speak to their housing officer about coming out to take photographs of their entries or tenants can submit photographs of their garden to firstname.lastname@example.org. Up to three photogrpahs can be entered for each category. Please try and make sure they are clear and in focus. If you are entering the Overall Garden category please submit photographs showing as much of the garden as you can.
Check out the winners from 2016 here
For more information contact Rachael Power, Community Involvement Coordinator on 02871 304800